Divorce Lawyer Johnson County, KS
If you plan to file for divorce soon, you may want to talk to a divorce lawyer Johnson County, KS relies on from The Law Office of Daniel E. Stuart, P.A. A divorce is a complex matter, so it’s important to have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A lawyer can guide you through the entire process and improve your chances of a favorable outcome.
Tips for Getting a Divorce Later in Life
Not everyone gets a divorce in their 20s or 30s. These days, more and more couples are getting divorced at an older age. If you’re divorcing later in life, you may face different issues than younger couples. Here are some tips for getting a divorce later in life.
- Determine if a divorce will affect your Social Security payments. If you’re getting divorced in your retirement years, there’s a good chance that Social Security is at least a portion of your income. You may be entitled to up to half your former spouse’s Social Security benefits.
- Decide what to do with the house. If you and your spouse are getting divorced in your golden years, it’s likely that your kids are grown and out of the house. Therefore, it might make more sense to sell the home and move into a smaller place. However, if either one of you has an attachment to the home, you will want to discuss this matter with each other.
- Figure out who will keep the pets. Older couples are more likely to have pets. If you and your spouse are getting a divorce, your divorce lawyer in Johnson County, KS may advise you to discuss your pet situation with your spouse. It’s unrealistic to think that you will continue to share time with your pets.
- Discuss your divorce with your children. While your children may be adults now, finding out that their parents are getting a divorce can still be tough. As such, you and your spouse should discuss your plans with your children as soon as possible.
- Stay positive. Divorce can be especially difficult when you’ve spent a large portion of your life with your spouse. You worry about what the future entails. However, it’s important to have positive thoughts and realize that you can move on from this. Think about what you want out of your life after your divorce and go after those goals.
Schedule a consultation with a divorce lawyer in Johnson County, KS today.