What if I Got in an Accident Out of State?

If you have gotten in a serious car accident that has left you with injuries, you may feel stressed and not sure what to do. If the accident occurred out of state, you may have even more questions about how to proceed with your case. It makes your case a little more complex because you have to account how the other state’s laws apply. There could be other issues that make your case more challenging to navigate. Below are some common questions that accident victims ask lawyers if they have been injured in a car accident while they were out of state. 

What if the other driver does not have insurance?

One complication that can make it difficult to handle a car accident case is if the other driver is not covered by insurance.  In some states, drivers are required to have uninsured motorist coverage. If the other driver who hit you out of state does not have insurance, you may still be able to receive compensation. You will have to turn to your insurance company to discuss how you can be compensated. For help with this process, reach out to a lawyer and they can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. 

Can a driver argue that they didn’t know about state laws? 

Many drivers ask if they can use ignorance of the law as a defense after getting into an out of state accident. Lack of knowledge about the law, even if you are an out of state visitor, is not an acceptable defense. If an at-fault driver attempts to use this as an excuse after causing an accident, do not allow them to get away with it. Speak to a lawyer for advice about next steps to take for this particular situation. 

What should my next steps be? 

Getting in an out of state accident can make your situation even harder to deal with. If you get into an out of state accident, take the same steps as you would if the accident occurred in state. However, make sure to familiarize yourself with the state laws to get an idea of what to expect then contact a lawyer.

You can rely on a car accident lawyer like one from Greenspan & Greenspan P.C. to help you with filing a car accident claim. If you are still having issues trying to obtain fair compensation from the insurance company, it may be time to consult with a trusted lawyer for personalized legal help. Schedule a consultation now so you can speak to a car accident lawyer about your case.