Many people take great care in designing their homes so that everything is just the way they want them. Homes are an outer reflection of ourselves and we want them to be a safe place for our families. However, all of that can shatter in an instance when someone breaks into your home and robs it. When this happens, it will likely leave you feeling a few things:
- Scared that this could happen again
- Sad over the loss you have experienced
- Anger toward the people who did this
- Violated that someone came into the home you built
These are all completely valid feelings and you need to allow yourself the space to feel them. So, when a robbery has just occurred, what steps should you take following the robbery?
What To Do Immediately Following a Robbery
It can be difficult to gather yourself when you find your home was robbed, but if you follow the steps below, you may be more successful in filing an insurance claim and even finding the person or people who did this.
- Call 9-1-1. The first thing you should do is get the police to your house immediately. Try to quickly scan for what things may be missing but do not move too many things as the police will want to see how the robbers went through things. If you are unsure of whether the perpetrator is still in your home or not, do not attempt to go inside but wait in your car or go to a neighbor’s.
- Gather your family and pets. Next, make sure everyone else is okay. If you have family or pets at the home, account for everyone and ensure they were not hurt. If you and your family were home during the robbery, this can be a traumatic experience and it is important to get everyone to a safe space. Further, many robbers break through doors or windows, so try to locate any pets you may have who could have gotten out during this time.
- Document your home. This includes taking pictures of your house in general (to show the overall damage that occurred) as well as individual spaces where your items were stolen. It is important to do this as quickly as possible.
- Call your insurance company. The next step is to call your insurance company. They will walk you through what to do next and how you should begin filing a claim.
- Call your lawyer. Especially in instances where you have security footage, it may be time to call a lawyer, like a robbery lawyer from a law firm like Cohen & Cohen, P.C. They can try to help track down who did this and bring them to justice.
What should I do next?
After you have been robbed, you have the right to seek help and it is important that you do so. Help can come in the form of talking with the police, working with a lawyer you can trust, and seeking counseling sessions from a licensed therapist. When you have a community of professionals behind you, you can begin rebuilding what was taken from you. Call a law firm located near you to see how they can help you after someone robbed you.